Monday, September 29, 2008

Mary Ann Sokolowsky Van Wagenen - Class of 1974

I grew up looking forward to the day when I would be an East High Knight. My older siblings had a great influence on my anticipation. Their participation in every aspect of East High including sports created an atmosphere in the Sokolowsky home of great pride for East High School. I was excited for the day when I would begin my own experience and it started as a freshman cheerleader.

I was proud to wear the cheer uniform and equally proud to cheer for our freshman basketball team. I can’t remember what our record was but it seems to me we won a lot of games. Many of them continued on to play all four years and although I didn’t continue on as a cheerleader, I did cheer them on from the stands. They simply were great guys and East High basketball contributed to that. Our friendships have continued and I respect them greatly. They were fun to watch on the basketball court and equally as fun to associate with off the court. East High basketball helped turned these young awkward boys who I knew from Dewey Jr. High, into outstanding men. They accomplished great things on the basketball court and in their own personal lives. I may not remember many of the details of the games, like my sister Virginia, but I do remember how it felt to be part of something as great as East High basketball.

I retired from being a cheerleader after my freshman year. I hung up the cheer uniform for that shiny, white, satin drill team uniform with the big black shield on the front. I gave up the sneakers for those sassy white boots with the big black tassels. And don’t forget the hat with the plume. I loved being in the drill team. It was a thrill to march in the parades and perform at halftime on the football field. But there was something special about performing during halftime at the basketball games. The gymnasium was always packed and everyone there cheered us on as well. It was an electrifying feeling and the enthusiasm the crowd had for the basketball game carried over to the halftime entertainment. Being a drill team member had its’ advantages. We were guaranteed entrance into the home games without having to arrive extra early just to make sure you could get in. Games were always a sell out.

East High basketball was memorable to me not only because of Coach Eathorne and his players but also because of the cheerleaders and pep band, the pep club and students, the parents and grand parents, and the traditions and school spirit. I too remember the hushed gym when the lights would go out and the introduction of the players. I also remember the well attended pep assemblies. We would sit together as a class and compete to see who could be the loudest at chanting, “We’ve got spirit yes we do, we’ve got spirit how ‘bout you”. We really meant it and this enthusiasm and spirit carried over to the basketball games as we competed with the opposing school in chanting that same cheer. We had a great feeling of pride for our school and for our basketball team. I also remember that at the assemblies our senior year the band would play “Jesus Christ Superstar” whenever Rick Walker would come onto the court. He was well known and respected for not only his superstardom as a basketball player but also for his own personal convictions. East High basketball had players with conviction. I feel lucky to have been a graduate of l974 and to have witnessed the l973-1974 back to back state championship games. These teams accomplished something amazing and I will never forget the thrill of watching it all happen. It was a memorable time to be a part of East High basketball. One I will never forget.

I do have one more memory. This will prove that coach Eathorne was right about Richard Arena being a lady’s man. We were playing at South Kitsap. I was a Jr. so it was l973. Some time during that game, Richard Arena was getting ready to inbound the ball from the sideline down by our student section. Before he put the ball in play, he turned around and was looking up into our section and he caught my eye and then mouthed the words, “will you go out with me tonight?” I remember saying “yes” and being quite shocked. He then said he would see me after the game. The whistle blew and the game continued. I had never been out with him before and I had no idea he was going to ask me out. He must have been pretty confident that I would say yes. I don’t know if Coach Eathorne ever knew what happened but I don’t think it would have surprised him. We went out that one time and I have never been asked out quite that again. Only Richard Arena, the lady’s man, could have pulled that one off.

Mary Ann Sokolowsky Van Wagenen
Salt Lake City, Utah

No comments: